The Tent
A few comments on the weather. On Thursday night the temperature had dropped like a stone. We were under frost advisories for Friday morning. Yes, I actually broke out my winter coat for this event and was very glad I did! The radio show hosts commented that it was just above freezing that morning, and so cold that the polar bears were refusing to come out! There were also comments on how no one seemed to know where their gloves were. By the time the sun came up it was only 47.
The Bare Naked Ladies showed up around 8. They stopped specifically in Chicago on their way to a concert in Kansas. One of the radio hosts was shocked that one of the groupies was wearing shorts. There were many jokes about Canadians...Which the band took in good stride (and even added to some). One of the band mates has a Canadian wife and claimed he was half-Canadian because of that! They sang five songs, and the radio station has been playing some of the live cuts lately from the concert especially "Easy". I have to say like the way they sound live better than the sound on the recorded albums. Paul listened to the live broadcast on the radio, in case anyone is wondering (he had to work that morning).
After the morning show was over, you were free to wander the zoo. Dad and I started to look for animals. Most of them really didn't want to come out into the open (cold) air. The first animal we saw out in the air was a bear. Contrary to the show host's comments, the polar bears were outside. We also caught the African wild dogs sleeping, a rhino eating, and the wolves outside. (pictures to be inserted soon, they are stuck on the camera). We spent a lot of time looking at the leopards, lion, and snow leopards.
African Dogs Sleeping

Wolves

Lion Roaring

Rhino
The clouded leopard was out and walking around in it's exhibit in the Fragile Rainforest. I always try to look for it, but most times, it alludes me. Once or twice I have caught it sleeping curled up in a round bed like a house cat. Today it was actually wandering its exhibit! There weren't many people around; it was very quiet. I think this contributed to the cat being active, plus it was probably breakfast time. It actually looked up at me! It has very beautiful golden yellow eyes. :) I wasn't able to get a picture (and I really tried!) because the cat was moving around so quickly.
Clouded Leopard Habitat
We were also lucky enough to catch feeding time for the penguins (in their indoor exhibit).
All in all, Dad and I had a good time at the concert and the zoo. The morning actually turned out to be quite pleasant, but on the cold side. The sun was out, and there was a slight breeze. I was really glad to get to go with him :) Dad and I left the zoo around noon and were back in Barrington around one.
Dad with the Morning Show Hosts: Eric and Kathy





No comments:
Post a Comment