So, we went to Joann's to take advantage of the Veterans’ Day Sale. The snuggle flannel was $2.99 a yard, plus we had two coupons: one for 10% the entire purchase and another for 40% off a regular priced item. We let Brian pick out his fabric. He settled on a train pattern with a blue background and train engines, cars, gates, and tracks (first pick was a very flowery pastel pattern, we directed him towards more boyish patterns).
Photo Courtesy of Joann.com
We also bought a nice contrasting Coats and Clark Duel Duty thread in Pilot Blue, and 2 packages of 1/4" knit elastic (equal to 6 yds. a miscalculation on my part), a Thanksgiving card and a snack-size bag of M and Ms. Total amount spent was about $15. The elastic was buy one, get one free. The thread worked for the 40% off.
We brought everything home and washed the fabric. Brian went to bed, and I fought with my sewing machine. Fought isn't really the word. I could not find my manual, so I was guessing at stitch widths, lengths, tensions, and actual stitches. None of the stitches were turning out on the scrap fabric. I gave up for the night and sent an email to the White customer service department. They won't get back to me until Monday. I measured the washed fabric only to figure out it had either shrunk by 2" (all parts) in the cold water, low drying wash, or the woman cutting it had not given me exactly 2 yards of fabric or it was never 45" in width to begin with (this turned out to be the case). I was pretty bummed; I thought I would not be able to make the sheet after all.
I hemmed about 1/4" around the whole piece of fabric. Unnecessary according to the directions, but I do not like the fraying edges.We cut the corners out, and then sewed them back together. I used a combination of straight stitching and zig zag. Next, it was time for the elastic. Definitely a learning curve on that, but not too bad. I used the zig zag and straight stitch for that too (too late I found out that my machine has elastic over lock stitch). I finished it, and Brian took his nap on it.
I have now been requested by Brian to make a flat sheet and a pillow case. I am making fitted corners on one end of the flat sheet, so they will not come off his bed as easily. The pillow case should be easy. I just have to measure a case to see how much more fabric I need to buy. The snuggle flannel is back up to full price this week. I only need 3 yards ( 1 yard for the case, 2 yards for the sheet), so it should equal around $18 without a coupon. Still worth it.

2 comments:
Congrats, sounds exciting! Hopefully you were able to take advantage of Joann's Thanksgiving flannel sale :)
It is soo cool :) I wish I'd found the site when I was expecting Brian. Especially after we found out he likes soft warm sheets when it is cold (big duh moment for me and Paul). Actually, Paul went back to Joann's on Black Friday to see if they would price adjust for us, and he got $14 back!
Post a Comment